Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Biting of more than you can chew

With the imminent arrival of the kitchen, I decided to look at the tiles on the floor. Many of them were cracked, and some were loose. So I pulled one of the loose ones up, and had a look underneath. As I did so, one of the tiles that I thought was secure next to it came up too. Which opened a can of worms - and now we don't have any tiles on the floor because 90% of them turned out to be loose only held in place by the tile next to it and the 'grout'. The 'adhesive' (a term I use loosely here) wasn't put on thick enough, nor scared deep enough and was used as grout. To compound the problem, where the backdoor is warped and damaged by the rain, the water has leaked in and under the tiles. This has compounded the problem of the tiles being loose.

So we've stripped the old tiles off the floor, and the adhesive. We're a day behind on our schedule now. I'll be happier that I'm putting the kitchen in on a solid foundation. We're not going to use the existing grey tiles, as a couple of them got broken in the process - and anyway they don't cover the whole area. Damp had set in underneath the tiles because of the back door (which we're replacing) and the area under the sink wasn't covered in tiles and there was significant evidence of the pipes leaking under the sink. We do have some very nice black ones which are left over from another project - lets hope we've got enough of them!

1 comment:

Glenn Jace said...

We have the same problem but I seek help through Renovations Betaplex ;)