Friday, February 4, 2011

Bedroom 4 - the beginnings

One of the problems with gyp-rocking is the 4ft by 8ft panels are heavy, too heavy for me to lift over my head on my own. The pitched roof invades the bedrooms and landing space. The pitched roofs are difficult to gyp-rock because it involves holding a panel over my head whilst someone screws it down. So I've been delaying approaching these areas - until now. We have our first visitor from England coming over, and with it the opportunity to get these areas - particularly the high areas, done. So I've started removing the old plaster and lathe from the walls in bedroom 4 - currently the only room which has no real purpose, and has two long areas needing covering. The video below is about an hour and a half of me working away on the wall. Unfortunately I didn't adjust the camera angle, so you only get to see the bottom of the wall, so I've cut out the end of the video. YouTube limits the time length of a clip to 15 minutes so I've upped the frame rate significantly to make the whole thing shorter.

You can see day light coming through the wall. The previous owners have removed the exterior shingles covering the outside wall at some point, but didn't realise this compromised the air tight spaces - so I've filled them with expanding insulating foam. It shouldn't get wet at all, because it's below the drip line of the roof.

Not sure what happened to the videoclip I uploaded, I'll try again


Tomorrow I'll finish stripping down the room. Then the insulation and vapour barrier go up. I'll try and get as much of the gyp-rocking done before my friend arrives so we're not wasting time. Hopefully I'll have time next week to start work on the landing - although we have a midwife's appointment, ante-natal classes as well as a visit to the Obs/Gynae facilities at the local hospital. No rest for the wicked.

No comments: