Thursday, January 22, 2009

More on Chimneys and sheds

We had a fire lit for the third time on Monday. We'd been advised to get a CO monitor for the bedroom. It's right above the living room and used to have a fireplace in it, but there's no guarentee that when they bricked it up, they did the job sufficiently to prevent CO from coming back down the chimney and poisoning us. As they are £5 for two in B&Q at the moment, I figured that wasn't an issue as I wanted one for the kitchen anyway. The fire took a couple of hours to get going, but when it did it was so hot I was down to my t-shirt for the first time!

The roof is now on the shed - with a bit of a patchwork of roofing felt on it. The felt that came with it was so brittle it was damaged in transit. Unfortunately several of the planks which made up the roof were rotten, as were the battons which supported them. This is not entirely unsurprising give the age of the shed! So a quick trip to B&Q, and I've bought some new sheet material. I've also taken the slightly brave step of modifying the shed a little. Being 6ft 1, I would have cracked my head on the horizontal support beam. So I've put some more leaning supports in, with some horizontal beams higher up. The only problem with this approach is that the original horizontal beam was preventing the walls from bowing outwards under the weight of the roof. Time will tell if my approach is too detrimental. It certainly will be less detrimental to my head!

No comments: